Mar 9, 2011

Maya + pyqt + mel

I recently discovered a way to use my melscripting knowledge, and do some experiment with pyqt designer. I know I promised a gui programming with python and designer and that will come soon too. Until that: it is possible to create a gui in designer, and do the core scripting in mel. It creates an .ui file, and in maya 2011 you can load it with the loadUI command. If you name the layouts, buttons etc. properly in designer, you can freely modify them from mel, create, attach, parent or trigger action with them. Here you can find a good tutorial for start, and here is a table, showing gui element types in designer and the corresponding type in mel. I discovered some strange things about the layout handling, and I don't know if it's a bug or not. But if you don't want to learn python quickly, but want to quickly slap a gui, it's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment